Top Franchise Terms Decoded
Purchasing a franchise is a big decision, one that you want to get right. There are many documents to go over, contracts to sign and terms you may not understand. With such an important financial and legal undertaking, you want to make sure that you understand every term you come across. Here are the top franchise terms you may see, and what they mean:
- The franchisee is the individual who purchases a franchise, or a business under the franchisor’s name.
- The parent company that allows franchisees to open and operate their own place of business under the Franchisor’s name, with their products, trademarks and processes.
- This is an option that is offered by some franchisors that will allow you to own a franchise, without having to be involved in actively running it.
- This is the initial fee that is paid to the franchisor in order to become a franchisee. In some cases, this is going to be a one-time thing, whereas for others the terms may be different. You will need to refer to your agreement for the specifics.
- Many franchisors require that franchisee pay them a fee on a regular basis. This can be weekly, monthly or annually. The royalty fee is typically a percentage of the franchisee’s sales, although it can be a flat fee.
Franchise disclosure document:
- Under the United States Federal Trade Commission, all franchisors are required to provide this legal document to their prospective franchisees. The document consists of 23 sections, or items, and is updated annually. It can include information about the history of the company, the costs and other fees, contract obligations, product details and more.
- The contract that outlines the responsibilities of both parties in the arrangement. It should be included in the franchise disclosure document.
- These are locations under the same business name that are run by the franchisor and not separate franchisees.
- In some cases, the franchisor can offer financing to their franchisees, in part or in whole. This financing can be used to help with expenses such as fees, startup costs or equipment.
- This refers to financing that is provided by a source other than the franchisor. Many franchisors have a relationship with specific banks, where they refer their franchisees for their small business loans.
- The master franchise can serve as the middleman between the franchisees and the franchisor in a certain territory. They can sign up new franchises, issue franchise disclosure documents and sometime receive a cut of the royalties from their territory.
How A Properly Written FDD Helps Franchisors and Franchisees
When purchasing a franchise, you will want to make sure that you understand all the information and paperwork. Use this brief guide to help you decipher any terms that you come across that you may not understand.
Arizona Business Law
Arizona Business Lawyers
Link about our Arizona Business Lawyers.
Arizona Collections Law
Arizona Collections Lawyer
This link talks about our collection lawyers in Arizona.
Arizona Employment Law
Arizona Employment Lawyer
This link is about our employment lawyers in Arizona.
Arizona Estate Planning
Arizona Estate Planning Lawyer
This link is about our estate planning lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
- Mesa Estate Planning Attorney
This link talks about our estate planning lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
Arizona Franchise Law
Arizona Franchise Attorney
This link is about our Arizona Franchise Attorneys.
Arizona Immigration Law
Arizona Immigration Attorney
This link is about our immigration attorneys in Mesa Arizona.
- Arizona Visa Lawyer
This link is regarding our Arizona Visa Lawyers.
- EB-5 Immigration Visa
This page talks about EB-5 immigration visas.
- Investor Visa
This page talks about investor visas by our immigration lawyers in Mesa.
- Mesa Arizona Immigration Lawyer
This link is regarding our immigration attorneys in Mesa.
Arizona Litigation Matters
- Arizona litigation lawyers
This link is about our litigation lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
- Mesa Litigation Attorney
This link talks about out litigation lawyer in Mesa Arizona.
Arizona Probate Law
Arizona Probate Lawyers
This link is about our Arizona probate lawyers.
Arizona Real Estate Law
Arizona Real Estate Lawyers
This link is about our real estate lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
- Phoenix Real Estate Lawyer
This link is about our knowledgeable real estate attorneys in Phoenix, Arizona.
1930 N Arboleda #201
Mesa, AZ 85213
Mesa, AZ 85213