Mesa, AZ 85213
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Gunderson, Denton And Peterson Office Locations
View View Gunderson, Denton And Peterson Locations in a larger map
Litigation With A Positive ROI
When to Litigate and When to Settle
If you find yourself in a controversy with another party that seems to have no agreeable solution, one way to reconcile the situation is to litigate.The process may not be the easiest, or the cheapest, so before taking such action it’s important to decide if litigation is what you really want to do. Here is more about litigation, and when you should just settle instead.
What is Litigation?
Litigation is the process of taking the controversy though the court system (i.e. filing a lawsuit). However, before it even gets that far, there are a few things that could happen. First, the party with the complaint will inform the other party about the controversy, or “present the claim.” In the claim, the aggrieved party states why the other party is responsible for the damage done or harm suffered. Some claimants will offer a proposed solution to the problem, others may not. Some may also threaten a lawsuit. If an agreeable solution cannot be reached, the complaint can be taken to court and elevated to a lawsuit.
Litigation is usually a very lengthy process, and can be very costly. Besides court fees and attorney fees, there are also costs to hire witnesses, costs of studies and reports, costs to analyze those reports, copy fees, deposition fees, paralegal fees and investigation fees. The list could go on and on. It is not always the best solution, especially if an agreement can possibly be reached. However, in cases where one party is refusing to settle, then litigation may be the only solution.
When is it Better to Settle?
Some claims get put to rest before they even see a court room. However, some settlements do not occur until it’s close to trail. Here are some instances where it might be a good idea to agree to a settlement rather than taking the case through a lengthy court process.
- The trial will cost you more money than you can gain from it. Imagine you are plaintiff in a lawsuit and your attorney informs you that you could likely win $10,000. He also tells you that the trial, plus all the fees you will have to pay, will cost close that amount. In this case, a settlement for a lower dollar amount, to avoid the fees of litigation is likely a better choice.
- Your legal costs are just not worth it. Whether you are the plaintiff or the defendant, if your total costs for the trial exceed what you will possibly win (or have to pay), then a settlement is a better option, unless you get a trial attorney as Douglas Miranda to help in cases like these.
- The outcome of the case is unpredictable, and you can’t afford to lose it. If you find that your case appears to be a toss-up and it seems there may be a good chance you may not even win, you are better off settling. Yes there is still a chance you could win and take home the large sum of money, but if you don’t win, you will be out court fees, attorney fees and much more.
- The claim is against someone close to you. As sad as it is, it does happen. Family members, colleagues, friends and business partners sue each other. In some cases, it seems as though the lawsuit was necessary at the time, but after a while the parties realize that the relationship is too important, and will likely be destroyed if the lawsuit continues. Litigation can be a hurtful process when it’s between people that actually care about each other. When both parties agree that the relationship is important, reaching a settlement is often the best choice.
1930 N Arboleda #201
Mesa, Arizona 85213
Email: [email protected]
40 N Central Ave #1400
Phoenix, AZ 85004
GDP Business Blog
Arizona Business Law
Arizona Business Lawyers
Link about our Arizona Business Lawyers.
Arizona Collections Law
Arizona Collections Lawyer
This link talks about our collection lawyers in Arizona.
Arizona Employment Law
Arizona Employment Lawyer
This link is about our employment lawyers in Arizona.
Arizona Estate Planning
Arizona Estate Planning Lawyer
This link is about our estate planning lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
- Mesa Estate Planning Attorney
This link talks about our estate planning lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
Arizona Franchise Law
Arizona Franchise Attorney
This link is about our Arizona Franchise Attorneys.
Arizona Immigration Law
Arizona Immigration Attorney
This link is about our immigration attorneys in Mesa Arizona.
- Arizona Visa Lawyer
This link is regarding our Arizona Visa Lawyers.
- EB-5 Immigration Visa
This page talks about EB-5 immigration visas.
- Investor Visa
This page talks about investor visas by our immigration lawyers in Mesa.
- Mesa Arizona Immigration Lawyer
This link is regarding our immigration attorneys in Mesa.
Arizona Litigation Matters
- Arizona litigation lawyers
This link is about our litigation lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
- Mesa Litigation Attorney
This link talks about out litigation lawyer in Mesa Arizona.
Arizona Probate Law
Arizona Probate Lawyers
This link is about our Arizona probate lawyers.
Arizona Real Estate Law
Arizona Real Estate Lawyers
This link is about our real estate lawyers in Mesa Arizona.
- Phoenix Real Estate Lawyer
This link is about our knowledgeable real estate attorneys in Phoenix, Arizona.
Mesa, AZ 85213